The fact that you are reading this article indicates that hair loss may be of concern to you or someone close to you. I would like to share some of my thoughts with you regarding different aspects of hair loss – what I would consider to be “the facts”. Before considering any form of hair loss treatment, be it medical treatment or surgery, I think it is important to note the following:
- The signs of hair loss are visible to everyone but the symptoms and the psychological impact are known only to the sufferer.
- If you are concerned about hair loss and you want advice, go to someone medically qualified to advise you. Do not go to a salesperson. Commercial clinics may not have your best interests at heart.
- A hair transplant is a medical procedure and should therefore be carried out by a qualified doctor.
Hair restoration is not a vanity issue. No patient has ever told me that they feel better looking, more handsome or more attractive following a hair transplant. The benefits of good hair restoration are largely personal. This is because hair loss can cause a dramatic, negative change in self-image and how someone feels about themselves. The benefits of hair restoration include improved self-image, improved self-esteem, improved self-confidence, peace of mind and contentment. Patient testimonials
- Half of the world’s male population over the age of 50 are losing hair or balding.
- Trimming your hair short and getting on with your life is definitely an option for some men with hair loss.
- Nobody needs a hair transplant.
- While a good hair transplant, properly planned and executed, will enhance your self-image, a bad hair transplant will have the opposite effect of making your symptoms considerably worse.
- Cost is an important factor but I would caution against going to a cheap clinic. While the rates may sound attractive, you may not receive the necessary quality of treatment. As one patient put it to me: “You never remember the price of a good job and you never forget the price of a bad one”.
- A hair transplant of the highest quality costs a good deal of money to perform because a great deal of precision is required and a large team of highly trained and skilled people is involved.
- A bad hair transplant is much worse than no treatment at all.
- If you are unsure about whether to have a hair transplant, don’t.
- As the cliché says, if it appears to be too good to be true, it probably is.
Advertising by commercial clinics has stated in the past that follicular units can be extracted from the scalp with “no stitches, no scars, no pain”. This is false. It should be clearly understood that it is not possible to remove the hair follicle and its root from the scalp without leaving some degree of scarring or stippling. See this article for more information on FUT or FUE.
Before reaching a decision regarding a hair transplant, research the subject and take as much time as necessary before making the final decision. Remember that a hair transplant is permanent and will last for the rest of your life.
Decisions regarding hair transplantation should be made by you, after consulting a qualified surgeon, and having gained the necessary information. Absolutely nobody should influence your decision to have a hair transplant. This includes family, friends, doctors and salespeople. The only person capable of making the final decision regarding transplantation is you as it is your self-image and appearance that is going to be changed.
If you are contemplating a hair transplant, make sure that the team providing the treatment can meet your expectations. Nobody can give you back a full head of hair.
A hair transplant should deal with your immediate hair loss concerns but must also take into account your future hair loss as you age. Planning for the future is critical in hair transplant surgery.
The general public have no tolerance for bad hair transplants, comb-overs and wigs. However they find baldness completely acceptable, it is the sufferer who often does not.
A Hair Transplant is a permanent solution to your hair loss, the hair that is transplanted is not affected by the balding process and will therefore be on your head for the rest of your life, therefore detailed planning of your hair transplant is essential.
Hair is fundamental to our self image and a strong self- image is a critical part of our self confidence. The correct treatment of hair loss enhances self confidence and self esteem.
Dr. Maurice Collins, Clinical Director of Hair Restoration Blackrock