Hair Restoration Specialists
There are currently four consultant surgeons and two consultant dermatologists on the team at HRBR in Dublin. See their full professional profiles below. If you would like to arrange a consultation with one of our hair loss specialists, please contact us by completing this form.
Dr Maurice Collins
MB, B.Ch, BAO, DLO, FRCSI, FRCS, FRCSEd.
Dr Collins is Medical Director and Team Principal of Hair Restoration Blackrock. He was educated at Belvedere College Dublin and did his undergraduate medical studies at University College Dublin. After graduating as a doctor he trained in General Surgery and received his Fellowship (FRCSI) in this specialty from the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland. Dr Collins then undertook specialist surgical training in Ear, Nose and Throat Surgery and was awarded a Fellowship (FRCS) from the Royal College of Surgeons in London. He subsequently received a further Fellowship (FRCSEd.) in Head and Neck Surgery from the Royal College of Surgeons in Edinburgh. He has practised as a Consultant Surgeon in the Blackrock Clinic for over 20 years.
Dr Collins’ interest in hair transplant surgery started over twenty years ago and he has trained and studied internationally in this specialist subject with some of the best experts in the world. Dr. Collins and his team regularly attend, and participate in, the annual conferences of The International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS) and the European Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ESHRS). Dr Collins contributes to the ISHRS Hair Transplant Forum International bi-monthly newsletter and was named Surgeon of the Month in May/June 2007.
Dr Collins has invited colleagues from around the world to HRBR in Dublin and has also attended numerous workshops in hair transplant surgery in both Europe and the United States. His knowledge and expertise on the subject of hair restoration surgery is recognised internationally. As one of Ireland’s only qualified surgeon practising hair restoration medicine, he is regularly asked to comment on related subjects in the media. Dr Collins has appeared on RTÉ’s The Late Late Show in addition to numerous radio features.
- Registered with the Medical Council of Ireland
- FRCSI – Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland. General Surgery
- FRCS – Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in London. Otorhinolaryngology (Ear, nose and throat specialist)
- FRCS Edin– Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in Edinburgh. Head and Neck Surgery
- Member of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS)
- Fellow Member of World FUE Institute http://www.worldfueinstitute.com/membership/
- International Society of Hair Restoration Surgeons – ISHRS Conference, Rome 2008
- European Society of Hair Restoration Surgeons – ESHRS Conference Milan
- Royal College of Surgeons Dublin
- ISHRS 23rd Annual Scientific Meeting in Chicago, 2015
- Blackrock Clinic, Dublin
- World FUE Institute Meeting in Lisbon http://www.worldfueinstitute.com/
- Brazilian Society of Hair Restoration Surgeons 2018 http://www.abcrc.com.br/7congresso/programacaocientifica.php
Dr Collins contributes to the ISHRS Hair Transplant Forum International bi-monthly newsletter and was named Surgeon of the Month in May/June 2007.
On a personal level, Dr Collins’ interests include flying (he is a qualified helicopter pilot), hill walking, climbing (he has climbed Mont Blanc and Kilimanjaro), cycling and men’s health issues. He is proud to be the great-nephew of General Michael Collins. To see historical footage please click here.
Dr Joseph O’Connor
MB, BCh, BAO, FRCS RCPS Glasg, FRCS Edin, FRCS Eng, FRCSI.
Dr O’Connor was educated at Rockwell College, studied Medicine at University College, Dublin and interned at St Vincent’s Hospital. He was subsequently appointed lecturer at the University of Glasgow. He then spent a period as a researcher in cardiovascular and liver transplant surgery and has contributed to the international literature on these and other subjects. His Senior Registrar General Surgery rotation included a year as Vascular Fellow at the Cardiovascular Research Center, Seattle.
Dr. O’Connor holds a Specialist Certificate in General Surgery from the Royal College of Surgeons of England. He has over 30 years experience as a Consultant Surgeon and lecturer in surgery at postgraduate and undergraduate levels. He is a fellow of the Royal Colleges of Surgeons of Glasgow, Edinburgh, Ireland and England.
- Registered with the Medical Council of Ireland
- FRCSI – Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
- FRCS Eng – Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in England
- FRCS Edin. – Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in Edinburgh
- FRCS RCPS Glasgow – Fellow Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
- Member of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS)
Dr Dmitri Wall
MB BCh BAO RCP
Dr Dmitri Wall is a consultant Dermatologist, Hair Transplant Surgeon (International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery member) and hair researcher. He has received internationally recognised subspecialist training in hair and scalp disorders, is an active publisher of research papers in international journals, and an Assistant Professor in the University College Dublin, School of Medicine.
Dr Dmitri Wall is a University College Dublin medical graduate (2004) and obtained Membership of the Royal College of Physicians (UK-London) Diploma in 2008. After completing higher specialist training with the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland (2017) he worked as a consultant Dermatologist in St James’s Hospital, Dublin, before taking up a post as a clinical fellow with world expert, Professor Rod Sinclair in Melbourne, Australia. This saw him further develop his sub-specialist interest in hair and nail disease to an international standard. In support of this, he was awarded the City of Dublin Skin and Cancer Hospital Charity international travel fellowship (2017). This year-long post provided intensive exposure to all forms of hair disease, such as androgenetic alopecia, alopecia areata, telogen effluvium and scarring alopecias, such as frontal fibrosing alopecia and lichen planopilaris. Working in a dedicated hair clinic, attached to a busy clinical trials centre, provided the opportunity to use current and future cutting edge therapies, that he is excited to introduce to Ireland.
Since 2010 Dr Wall has also developed a special interest in health informatics. He completed an MSc in Health Informatics in Trinity College Dublin in 2015 with distinction, winning a Health Informatics Society of Ireland award for his thesis. This was enabled by a 2-year research fellowship with the Irish Skin Foundation, to develop a number of national and international connected patient registries and clinical information systems. This project led to the development of the charity National and International Skin Registry solutions (NISR), which he continues to work with on national, international and global projects.
Dr Wall contributes to a number of national and international committees and projects, such as the European Reference Network for Rare and Undiagnosed Skin Disease (ERN Skin), for which he is the eHealth lead, and the British Association of Dermatologists Health Informatics Sub Committee. He has presented regularly at national and international dermatology meetings, such as the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), British Association of Dermatologists (BAD) and European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology annual meetings. He has published in a number of journals, such as the Australasian Journal of Dermatology, British Journal of Dermatology and Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, relating to alopecia areata, atopic dermatitis and hidradenitis suppurativa, amongst other topics. He has also authored sections of the Patient Registries Initiative (PARENT) EU “Methodological guidelines and recommendations for efficient and rationale governance of patient registries”.
- MB BCh BAO (2004)
- MRCP (UK) (2008)
- Certificate of Satisfactory Completion of Specialist Training in Dermatology (Royal College of Physicians of Ireland), 2017
- MSc Health Informatics (Trinity College Dublin), 2017
- Hair disease
- General Dermatology
- Health Informatics/patient registries/medical technology & innovation
- Irish Association of Dermatologists
- British Association of Dermatologists
- British Hair and Nail Society
- European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology
- International Society of Dermatology
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine
To find out more about the range of treatments offered by Dr Wall at HRBR, please see our dermatology page. To listen to Dr Wall being interviewed on Dr Dorieann’s Podcast about his work, please follow this link.
Dr Claragh Healy
MB BCh BAO B Med Sci MCh PhD FRCS (Plast)
Dr. Healy qualified from University College Dublin in 1999 with an Honours Degree. After completing an internship in St. Vincent’s University Hospital, she completed her basic surgical training and pursued a career in plastic surgery.
She was brought through the Higher Surgical training programme in plastic surgery (RSCI) and completed her Fellowship with the Royal College of Surgeons (Plast) and completed her training Fellowship in microvascular breast reconstruction in the UK, Belgium and USA and a cosmetic Fellowship in the Wellington Hospital, London and the McIndoe, East Grinstead.
In addition, Dr. Healy has completed a Masters of Surgery through research and a Doctor of Philosophy (RCSI).
Having completed her Fellowship training, Dr. Healy returned to Ireland and was appointed to St. James’ Hospital as a Consultant Reconstructive Plastic Surgeon, a post which she holds today. She has had further appointments to private hospitals.
Dr. Healy has published extensively and has presented work both at national and international levels and remains committed to teaching, having lectured internationally in the past and ongoing commitment to medical student teaching in her current appointments.
- MB BCh BAO, B Med Sci: Graduated University College Dublin 1999 with Honours and Batchelor of Medical Science
- AFRSCI :Associate Fellowsip of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland 2002
- MCh: Masters in Surgery, RCSI, 2005
- PhD: Doctor of Philosophy, RCSI, 2009
- FRCS (Plast): Intercollegiate Speciality Examination in Plastic Surgery 2011
- Breast and Microsurgery Fellow, St. Andrew’s Centre, Chelmsford, UK, 2011
- Breast Microsurgery Fellowship, NYU Langone Medical Centre and Louisana Health Sciences Centre, USA, 2012
- Breast Microsurgery Fellowship, University Hospital Ghent, Belgium, 2012
- Aesthetic Fellowship, Mc Indoe Surgical Centre, East Grinstead, UK, 2013
- Aesthestic Fellowship, Wellington HCA, London, UK ,2013
- Gerry Edwards Memorial Medal, Irish Association Plastic Surgeons, 2004
- Patrick Meenan Award, UCD Postgraduate Research Award, 2008
- Ethicon Foundation Travel Grant 2012
- RCSI Surgical Travel Grant 2012
- BAPRAS European Travelling Scholarship 2012
- Irish Association of Plastic Surgeons (IAPS)
- British Asssocaition of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons (BAPRAS)
- World Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery (WSRM)
Dr Nicole L. Farrell
MB, BCh, BAO, LRCP & SI, FRCSI, MCh, DipAvMed
Dr. Farrell studied Medicine at the Undergraduate school of Medicine at RCSI and qualified in 1994. She interned in Beaumont Hospital. She undertook training in General, Vascular and Urological surgery and has worked as a Locum Urology Consultant at Connolly Hospital, Dublin.
She has a strong interest in both undergraduate and post graduate education and worked as a Physiology Demonstrator, Senior Clinical Lecturer in Surgery and Clinical Lecturer and Tutor in Surgery at various times in RCSI.
She delivered presentations for the Institute of Leadership and Healthcare at RCSI, as part of its Professional development programme, designed for post graduate doctors, which specifically covered, communications skills, ethics, consent, and capacity. Currently she holds recognised teacher status at Cranfield University.
She is a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland. She obtained a master’s in surgery from UCD, for research undertaken at the Mater Misericordiae Hospital.
Qualifications & Awards
Registered with the Medical Council of Ireland
Enrolled Professional Competence Scheme RCSI
MB BCH BAO, LRCP & SI – Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
FRCSI – Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
MCh 2009 – NUI, UCD
Advanced Diploma Medical Law, inaugural course, King’s Inns
Diploma in Aviation Medicine, European School of Aviation Medicine
Member Medico Legal Society of Ireland
MRAeS Member of the Royal Aeronautical Society