We advise patients to attend a pre-operative appointment prior to surgery, this allows the nursing team to do the following:
- Design planning
- Assessment of your donor hair
- Medical assessment
These are all important aspects in preparation for hair transplant surgery with HRBR.
Please bring a list of any medications you are taking to this appointment.
This appointment will provide you the opportunity to discuss your surgery in more detail, any questions you may have will be answered. All instructions relating to your surgery will be given at this appointment.
Prior to surgery patients should do the following:
- For patients undergoing an FUT procedure keep 2-3 cm length in your hair prior to the surgery, this will ensure the stitches will be hidden post operatively
- For patients undergoing an FUT procedure commence flexibility exercises 1 month before, please see the Scalp Massage page
- For patients undergoing an FUE procedure please note in most cases the entire head must be shaved to a blade 0 on the day of the procedure
- Stop using Regaine 1 day before
- You can continue taking your FDA approved hair loss medicine as normal (if prescribed).
- Please stop taking any vitamins and supplements 1 week before
- Start using Tea-Tree shampoo 1 week before your surgery. This is available in all pharmacies and any brand of tea tree shampoo is suitable
- A pre-medication of allopurinol 300mg and valium 5mg should be taken between 6pm and 7pm the evening before your surgery and you should be in for the evening either at home or at your hotel before it is taken.
- This is normally provided to you at your pre operative appointment; however you may need to collect this pre-medication during office hours if you have not already received it.
- Do not drink alcohol for 48 hours before your surgery
- Eat a substantial breakfast before you arrive
- Please read your consent form before you attend for surgery
- Please contact the nursing staff with any queries you have
- Mild sedation is given during surgery and it is important you do not drive afterwards
About the Author
DR Maurice Collins
MB, B.Ch, BAO, DLO, FRCSI, FRCS, FRCSEd.
Registered with the Medical Council of Ireland
Dr Collins is Medical Director and Team Principal of Hair Restoration Blackrock. He was educated at Belvedere College Dublin and did his undergraduate medical studies at University College Dublin. After graduating as a doctor he trained in General Surgery and received his Fellowship (FRCSI) in this specialty from the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland.
Find out more about DR Maurice Collins and our team of doctors and surgeons.